Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grief is like a roller coaster ride . . .

with highs and lows, but unlike a roller coaster, you cannot predict or see when the next up or down will be, you just have to go with the flow.

This morning I felt the heaviness coming over me, building up until it overflowed. I went out and sat on the bench under the bedroom window looking out into the main garden, taking in the birdsong and the gentle breezes and talking to Jesus, letting the tears flow and thanking him for his blessings and asking him again to be my strength and comfort. Every day is a day to be lived and gotten through as best one can. With God all things are possible, and He is our comfort and our strength.

When I was getting ready for work I stuck the little book ‘Come Away My Beloved’ by Frances J. Roberts into my bag. After I settled in here at work, I pulled it out to see what might speak to my heart at this time.  Here it is below.

******

One Day at a Time

O My child, hast thou known the way of the Lord, and canst thou trust Him now? Nothing shall befall thee but such as cometh from His hand. None shall set upon thee to hurt thee, for thy God hath built about thee a wall of fire.

Be content with what each day bringeth, rejoicing in thy God, for surely He it is who shall deliver thee and He it is who hath brought thee thither.

His way is discernable to the eye of faith. His heart is surely thy strong tower.  In His affection thou has security. In His love is thy hope and thy peace.

Do not question and do not doubt.  Each day holdeth some small joy that shall escape thee if thou art preoccupied with tomorrow.

Nothing daunts thy Father. Nothing can restore the past and nothing can bind the future, but today thou mayest live in the full blessing of the Father's smile. Hold to His Words, for they are as a nail driven in a sure place.  All else may seem shifting and non-permanent, but His Word is firm. It is a rock that shall not be moved.  It is a firm place to stand.

Do not walk in the path of human reason, and resist the pressures that would project thee into conjectures of the future. Live one day at a time! Suffice it to keep thee occupied simply striving to bring joy to the Father's heart. For ye know that He loveth  thee, and ye shall fine thy peace as thou resteth in Him. 

From ~ Come Away My Beloved by Frances J. Roberts. Published by Barbour Publishing, Inc. Used by permission.

One day at a time

6 comments:

  1. That brought tears to me eye Lorraine- it was both touching and beautiful. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart breaks for you Lorraine! Even though I have not lost a husband I do understand the 'roller coaster ride' of grief from losing my son this past year. I was thankful to read that the Lord brought comfort to your heart.. and here you are bringing comfort to mine! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope today is a good one for you, Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ups and downs are difficult and I'm glad you're finding solace in various writings and of course in the Lord. He definitely is your strength and will carry you through this time. Thanks for sharing that passage and a big hug for you today. Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I posted my comment on your other blog, I realized I should have added that it's also a blessing to have the comfort of God.

    I was reading this post and looking at the news, then my eyes landed on the photo of your DH, and tears filled my eyes.

    I just said another prayer for you, and will continue to as you come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A precious friend gave me a copy of Come Away My Beloved when i was newly widowed. Someone gave it to her when she became a widow very suddenly about eight years ago. She said nothing spoke to her heart like that devotional. That was my experience too. I'm so glad you have a copy. I read it every day for about three years.

    Thank you for posting the music video. I haven't heard the song in many years, probably long before Buck's illness. Hearing it in the midst of widowhood made me cry as I can relate to it so differently now. Taking one day at a time is key, while holding His Hand tightly. I can't imagine going through this journey any other way!

    ReplyDelete