Friday, April 19, 2013

Give thanks and confide in the widow’s God

 

04-15-newest-member

The sweet little bear holding the pillow is from my ‘Friends Needing Friends’ widow’s group.  I got it because I am new to this special sisterhood of widows, and for comfort.

Even as I am now, without my best friend and love, my dear husband and soulmate, I am to ‘give thanks in all things’.

With God my Saviour, I can do all things.

***

In every thing give thanks:
for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus concerning you
.
1Th_5:18

O give thanks unto the LORD;
for he is good:
for his mercy endureth for ever.

Psa_136:1

***

It is well! All that he does, who speaks these touching words, is well. It is well with you, for he who gave in love, in love has taken away the mercy that he gave. The companion of your youth, the friend of your bosom, the treasure of your heart, the staff of your riper and the solace of your declining years, is removed, but since God has done it—it is, it must be well. Look now above the circumstances of your deep and dark sorrow, the second causes of your bereavement, the probable consequences of your loss,—God has done it; and that very God who has smitten, who has bereaved, and who has removed your all of earthly good, now invites you to trust in him. Chance has not brought you into this state; accident has not bereft you of your treasure; God has made you a widow, that you may confide in the widow’s God.

Octavius Winslow

1 comment:

  1. Lorraine I know it takes a while because you are new to Widowhood, but I have prayed that you will find comfort in the memories and the fact that God had blessed you and HD to enjoy life in it's fullest. Yes he is in God hands now. But both God and HD would like for you to walk in Peace and Joy..

    I know that this sounds easier said than done... but I know that HD would not want you to be in heavy grief.. I'm sure that everytime you go out into the garden or sit in your shed that he built for you.... You bring a beautiful smile to HD's face.

    ReplyDelete